My name is Mark Hibbert and am a concerned citizen of this planet willing to act to alter our current direction of travel regarding our impact on the Earth. I am by nature fairly conservative and cautious and do not anything rash without sufficient evidence and research. The evidence I have gathered strongly says to me that we must act and act now to minimise our impact on this planet, our home, or face the consequences which could be devastating and unpredictable.
The issues that got my attention are the following:
1. The speed of CO2 rise over the last 200 years
2. The acidification of the oceans due to CO2 rise and the impact that this has on the oceans’ food chains
3. Peak Oil, i.e. the relationship between how much estimated oil reserves are left v. the predicted amount we will require. This date is estimated to be between 2010 and 2015, after which oil reserves dwindle rapidly. Look around the room you are in and see how prevalent oil is in the products and the production of these products…
4. Use of resources – renewable resources like timber and non-renewables like iron. Although, recycling is possible with many resources, there is a limit on the number of times that many of these resources can be recycled.
5. The decline in numbers of many of the flora and fauna on the planet. We have no idea how this might affect our continued existence here…
I am creating this site to encourage action from all who visit. I will be sharing my own journey towards zero carbon/zero waste/low impact life. I am certainly not a hair shirt wearing member of the Human race and like many of you like my luxuries and the ability to spend my time and resources how I wish. However, it has become increasingly plain to me that I have something to do with the current state of the world, I cannot stand idly by blaming governments, big business and the like for the way that things are – I am responsible!
My intention is to update this site regularly with ideas, my journey, innovations, tips and actions that can be taken that will have a significant impact on this issue. In addition, this is an opportunity for many to participate in creating another future for Mankind and to alter our current trajectory. One thing is guaranteed without action there ain’t no change in circumstance!